Sunday, January 9, 2011

El Viaje

 
            I arrived in Mexico on Thursday night. We had two connecting flights and two connected bus rides. On the buses we watched “The Proposal” in espanol. It was pretty funny and we also watched some mosaic film. I was so tired when we got there but It was a fun and interesting time. People drive so crazy here! But it is a sort of organized chaos:) The first night I slept in the school because my host family was out of town. They gave us spaghetti-ohs for dinner but we did not have a can opener lol. Lets just say I am good with a knife:) I also saw my first cockroach there..Ah!!! lol they really are impossible to kill by smashing. The next night I found out that my original host family was going to move so I did not have a familyL but I was then put with the family that I am with now. They have two children in college and my new little brother who is 16. They are all super nice. The older children come home on the weekends and it is a good time. Last night we went to get elote which is corn with mayo, cheese, and Chile powder. I loved it. We also got tortas de pierna adobada. I eat so much here cuz it is soo good! Today I also went to the church that is all in Spanish. It was fun to sing in Spanish and I caught a couple words of the talks too-The Book of Mormon is True. This city is so huge. At first I did not think I could ever find my way around but now I think I may be able to with some help. My host parents do not speak English but my brother and sister do a little. They have all been helping me learn Spanish and I love it. But it is also very frustrating at times. I feel so dumb all the time! Haha. As far as teaching the children goes, we start tomorrow. I spent all of yesterday in training and preparing lessons for my class. I am going to teach the very youngest children and this week I am teaching gym and drama. Haha this shall be interesting since I am no professional. Over all it has been an awesome and exciting journey. Mexico is were it is at:)

1 comment:

  1. Elote! thats what the skinny guy from Nacho Libre is always eating :) figures you would love it haha. Sounds like you're having tons of fun chica :)

    ReplyDelete